130,000 flee Philippines fighting
Article from: Agence France-Presse
From correspondents in Manila
August 11, 2008 02:43pm
FIGHTING between rebel Muslims and troops in the southern Philippines has forced about 130,000 people to flee their homes, the Government says.
The National Disaster Co-ordinating Council (NDCC) said 129,819 people had been displaced from 42 villages in North Cotabato province since the fighting began last week.
The refugees are being housed in 43 government evacuation centres in the province in the southern island of Mindanao, said Glenn Raboza, an NDCC executive officer.
The flare-up of violence follows a decision last week by the Supreme Court to suspend plans for an extended Muslim homeland in the southern Philippines.